How Doxycycline works
Common side effects of Doxycycline
- Your doctor has prescribed capsule to cure your infection and improve symptoms.
- Take it with food and plenty of water to avoid stomach upset.
- Do not skip any doses and finish the full course of treatment even if you feel better. Stopping it early may make the infection to come back and harder to treat.
- Take it while you are sitting or standing, to prevent any throat irritation. Do not lie down for at least 30 minutes after taking capsule.
Diarrhea may occur as a side effect but should stop when your course is complete. Inform your doctor if it doesn’t stop or if you find blood in your stools.
- Avoid excessive sun exposure and use sunscreen and protective clothing when outdoors.
- Inform your doctor if you are pregnant, planning to conceive or breastfeeding.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS FOR DOXYCYCLINE
Q. Can I drink milk while taking Doxycycline?
No, you should avoid using milk and milk products while taking capsule. Consuming dairy products along with capsule can decrease its absorption from the stomach, which may lead to inadequate affect of this medicine.
Q. How long after taking Doxycycline can I eat?
It is best to wait for 2 hours after consuming capsule . Consuming food along with capsule may decrease its absorption from the stomach.
Q. Can I take Doxycycline with food if its causing stomach upset?
Yes, you can take capsule with food if its causing you stomach upset. However, avoid consuming milk and milk products 1 hr before and 2 hr after taking this medicine.
Q. How long does Doxycycline takes to work?
Usually, capsule starts working soon after taking it. However, it may take some days to kill all the harmful bacteria and make you feel better.
Q. Can the use of Doxycycline cause diarrhea?
Yes, the use of capsule can cause diarrhea. It is an antibiotic which kills the harmful bacteria. However, it also affects the helpful bacteria in your stomach or intestine and causes diarrhea. If diarrhea persists, talk to your doctor about it.
Q. Can Doxycycline be used in children?
According to the updated guidelines (2018) from American Academy of Pediatrics, capsule can be used in children of all ages for less than 21 days.
Q. Does Doxycycline works in acne?
Yes, capsule is one of the most commonly prescribed oral antibiotics, which is used in the treatment of acne. It reduces the number of bacteria that causes acne on the skin.